The Mill House
Swallowcliffe Mill stopped working at the beginning of the twentieth
century when it was converted into a house. Before this it had milled
flour for hundreds of years. Although not mentioned in the Doomsday
Book for Swallowcliffe (1087) it is referred to in documents dated
1249 (Civil Pleas of the Wiltshire Eyre) and
1256 when the Foot of Fines records Galfrid de Hewenebergh and Claricia
his wife passing the tenancy of the mill over to Henry de Cobham
for the price of three silver marcs. (Foot of
Fines 1256 - Public Record Office). The mill at this time
belonged to the Abbess of Wilton. It is possible that the lowest
storey of the west part of the mill dates back to these times. The
mill at that time would have been smaller than it stands today.
In 1917 Robert Hyde leased the mill to Matthew Bealing. It was
"A dwelling house built with stone in good repairs consisting
of one room below and two butterys and two above with a mill at
the east end of the said house and a barn of two rooms and a stable
adjoining and a garden and orchard in which is about twelve trees."
It also came with common of pasture for ten sheep, one horse and
(Surveys of Swallowcliffe, West Harnham and Easton
Bassett - C18th and C19th.)
In 1742 the mill came under the ownership of Henry Herbert, Earl
of Pembroke. It remained a part of the Pembroke Estate until 1894.