1742 the mill came under the ownership of Henry Herbert, Earl of
Pembroke. It remained a part of the Pembroke Estate until 1894.
Until the nineteenth century the mills water source was a stream
fed by numerous springs. The mill was then greatly enlarged: The
building was heightened with a new range built on the eastern side.
A bakery with bread oven was installed. The south of the mill was
embanked and a large mill pond was constructed. The course of water
was diverted by a new leat, three quarters of a mile long, that
was dug at a higher level and lined with clay. A new iron breastshot
wheel was installed. It was a breastshot ponsolet wheel widely used
from the 1830's onwards and invented by a Frenchman named Ponsolet.
From 1889 Kelly's Directory lists the mill as being both water and
stream powered. At this time steam milled grain was believed to
produce white flour. The miller then was James Hiscock. He is remembered
as a generous man who ground the villagers field gleanings and made
their bread for them at the end of harvest, charging them nothing.
1903 the mill had stopped working and was converted into a house.
The machinery was removed and all that remains is a large sluice
gate at the end of what was once the mill pond and a grindstone
that now sits on a tree stump.