How to set up smartphone app for walking:
- On your phone - go to Play Store (Android)
- Search for "Viewranger - Hiking Trails & Bike Rides"
- Install the app
- Allow notifications for "Location" and "Storage" - plus "Camera" if you want to take pictures via the app
- On the app go to "Settings" + "Display" + "Unit" (Change to Imperial for miles) + "Auto rotate map" - choose your preference (I like Map points north)
- "Settings" + "GPS" + "Heading vector time" (shows an arrow showing how far you will go in xx minutes)
- There are lots of other settings you may wish to look at as well
- Set up a user id at https://my.viewranger.com - I recommend "Sign up via email" but you may wish to chose Facebook or Google login options if you don't mind ViewRanger having access to those accounts.
- "Routes & Tracks" + "Create a route from GPX"
- Chose gpx file to upload (for example Walk 1 ) then "Upload" which shows the route on a map
- Press the "Save" icon on the menu bar
- Go to app on phone and chose from three dot menu - Sync Content
- Route should now be visible on the phone
- Tap on the route and chose "Start Route"
- If the map doesn't show enough detail tap on the maps icon (top right of the map) and chose "ViewRanger Landscape"
Ordnance Survey (requires subscription - from £2.00 per month):
- Download the gpx file onto the phone - You need to know where it is stored!
- Find the downloaded file click and hold on it
- Menu comes up "Open With ... " - Select "OS Maps"
- Enter new details about the map - Name, Type (walking, running, cycling etc), level (eg Leisure)
- Click save
- From OS Maps menu go to "Routes"
- List of loaded routes appears .. select appropriate route
Some of the walks start from Wilbury Barn (my house) - if you call to arrange beforehand, I am happy for you to park in my front yard. There is parking for at least 30 cars, so group walks can start from here as well. Please give me a few days notice - Chris - 01747 858017
View the Swallowcliffe
diary for the latest activities